Vehicle maintenance is crucial year-round, but it becomes even more significant during the winter months. This importance can be attributed to several key factors:
Keeps vehicles on the road – Christmas is one of the busiest times of year for drivers, so keeping vehicles well maintained is essential to ensure that you are not losing out on money. If your truck is unfit for the road, you will be unable to deliver parcels and work efficiently, meaning that your pockets will be hit hard during this extremely busy period.
Prevents costly repairs – Investing in regular maintenance can save money in the long run by avoiding the need for more significant, costly repairs. For example, replacing a battery or wiper blades is far less expensive than dealing with the aftermath of an accident caused by battery failure or poor visibility. Similarly, regular oil changes and antifreeze checks can prevent the severe damage that engine freezing or overheating can cause, leading to expensive engine repairs.
In addition, well-maintained vehicles have better fuel efficiency, which can save money on diesel during a season when vehicles are generally less efficient. Regular maintenance also helps in retaining the vehicle’s resale value, as a well-maintained truck, bus or van commands a higher price in the market.
Safety – It is common for vehicles to be damaged by winter weather conditions such as snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. It is, therefore, critical for your safety to keep your vehicles in good working order. In the winter, for example, tyre tread depth and pressure become crucial. Tyres with sufficient tread give improved grip on slick roadways, lowering the chance of an accident. Furthermore, cold temperatures can influence tyre pressure, therefore routine checks are required.
Overall it ensures the safety of the driver, the cargo, and other road users. It also helps prolong the vehicle’s lifespan and reduces the risk of costly breakdowns.
“Jaltest gives technicians the tools to find and fix potential safety problems, making it safer for your fleet to travel as well as being more efficient.”
You should be carrying out regular checks on your HGV truck anyway, but this is especially important in the winter when you can face severe weather at any time.
In particular, we recommend that you check:
- Tires for balance, pressure, and wear
- The battery power and charging system (Check ECU memory for fault and measurements for charging using Jaltest)
- Ensure that your heaters are working properly
- Ensure your fluid levels are topped off (check out our Coolant Circuit Leak Test Kit on the eShop here which allows you to pressurise the vehicle coolant circuit and check for potential leaks quickly and easily).
- Make sure that your windshield wipers are cleaned off and are in working order.
- Ensure lights are working perfectly.
Jaltest is a comprehensive diagnostics tool used extensively in the automotive industry, particularly for commercial vehicles such as trucks, buses, and heavy-duty equipment. It is intended to aid mechanics and technicians in properly diagnosing and repairing fleets, hence assisting in vehicle maintenance and keeping them on the road.
What vehicle issues are winter-specific/more common in the winter that Jaltest can help with?
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) Faults
- Electronic Stability Program Malfunctions
- Airbag System Faults
- Traction Control System Issues
- Wheel Speed Sensor Problems
- Battery and Charging System Analysis
- Heating and Climate Control System Diagnostics
- Glow Plug and Preheating System Testing
- Fuel System Analysis
- Suspension and Steering System Checks
- Lighting and Visibility System Tests
- Exhaust System Analysis
Jaltest plays an important part in keeping cars running smoothly and avoiding downtime by offering thorough diagnostic capabilities, precise technical information, and different options for preventative maintenance. Its use is crucial to efficient and successful vehicle maintenance and management, particularly in commercial settings where vehicle uptime is critical.
Contact our friendly team to learn more about our market-leading diagnostic tools.